Miami Motorcycle Accident Lawyers
A motorcycle accident can lead to devastating injuries and accompanying medical costs. The victim of a motorcycle crash may incur significant bills associated with a long recovery and an inability to work. If you or someone you love suffered harm in a motorcycle crash, contact our lawyers today to schedule a free initial consultation. Our Miami motorcycle accident attorneys work to help families seek full and fair compensation for their material and immaterial losses.
Table of Contents
- Common Causes of Miami Motorcycle Accidents
- Who is Liable in a Motorcycle Accident in Florida?
- Motorcycle Accident Statistics & Risk Factors
- Do You Need a Motorcycle Accident Lawyer?
- Free Motorcycle Accident Attorney Consultation
Common Causes of Miami Motorcycle Accidents
Motorcycle accidents are far more likely to result in a fatality compared with car accidents. Some of the most common causes include:
- Head-on collisions: The majority of motorcycle accidents involve a car striking a motorcycle in the front. Unfortunately, many motorists simply do not pay close enough attention to motorcyclists, which is a form of negligence that is often fatal.
- Cars making left turns: Motorists often misjudge the speed of a motorcyclist, a mistake that can prove devastating. A car may turn into a motorcycle when it is traveling straight through an intersection or passing the car on the left in a faster lane.
- Accidents in town: Finally, motorcyclists may be vulnerable to accidents when traveling in town. Motorists may open their car doors into a passing motorcyclist, for example.
The injuries a victim sustains in a motorcycle accident are often severe. Traumatic brain injuries, road rash, and fractures are common afflictions that require extensive medical treatment and feature a long road to recovery.
Who Is Liable in a Motorcycle Accident?
Liability in a motorcycle accident functions the same way as the liability in a car accident. Florida is one of a handful of states to observe a no-fault system of insurance, so in some cases, an injured motorcyclist may file a claim with his or her own insurance company, regardless of who is at fault. However, since injuries sustained in a motorcycle accident are more likely to be severe, motorcyclists can often step outside the no-fault system and file a traditional claim for damages.
Motorists are often at fault for motorcycle accidents simply because they are not as careful around motorcyclists as other cars. A motorcyclist can easily fit into a blind spot and it can be more difficult to judge their speed. This makes motorcyclists more vulnerable to injury.
Motorcycle Accident Statistics & Risk Factors
In the year 2020, there were a staggering 82,528 motorcycle riders who experienced injuries within the United States. 5,579 motorcyclists were killed in fatal traffic accidents that same year. Motorcycle accidents account for 14% of all traffic facilities. Approximately 36% of motorcycle accidents resulting in fatalities implicated riders without a valid motorcycle license. The month of August marked the most dangerous period for motorcyclists, contributing to 14% of the total fatal motorcycle collisions throughout the year.
Motorcycle accidents are fraught with complexities, and certain factors can significantly increase the odds of fatalities:
- Not Wearing a Helmet: 2,143 motorcycle accident fatalities happened when riders were not wearing a helmet.
- Driving Too Fast: 34% of fatal motorcycle accidents involve a motorist traveling at excess speed.
- Drunk Driving: 27% of deadly motorcycle accidents were alcohol-involved crashes. 40% of alcohol-impaired motorcycle crash deaths occur during the evening hours.
- Peak Hours: During weekends, the most common timeframe for motorcycle fatalities is between 6:00 PM and 9:00 PM. During weekdays, the most common timeframe for motorcycle fatalities is between 3:00 pm and 6:00 pm.
Why Do You Need a Motorcycle Accident Lawyer?
Most people assume they can handle accident cases on their own because of Florida’s no-fault system. The severity of motorcycle accidents means many victims can file claims against an at-fault driver. This process requires the guidance of an attorney. Insurance companies often try to take advantage of victims and their families by pressuring them into a low-ball settlement. Insurers tend to take claims more seriously and offer fairer settlement amounts with a motorcycle accident attorney involved. An attorney is a victim’s best chance at receiving maximum compensation for a victim’s material and immaterial losses. Our Miami motorcycle accident lawyers will help you seek the compensation you need to cover medical bills, lost wages, and other related expenses.
Contact Our Miami Attorneys Today
If you or someone you love recently suffered damages in a motorcycle accident, contact the personal injury lawyers at Flanagan & Bodenheimer Personal Injury & Wrongful Death Law Firm. Our team of lawyers is dedicated to serving the residents of South Florida across a wide range of neighborhoods and communities. We are committed to providing exceptional legal representation to individuals in areas including Coral Gables, South Miami, Homestead, Hollywood, Fort Lauderdale, Miami Beach, Kendall, Brickell, Downtown Miami, North Miami Beach, Aventura, Miami Gardens, Sunny Isles, Cutler Bay, Miami Shores, Edgewater, Midtown, Boca Raton, and West Palm Beach.
Contact our Miami motorcycle accident lawyers today to schedule your free case evaluation.